Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Days Ahead

I once heard a preacher teach on 2 Timothy 4:9-22.  He said most of us don't pay much attention to the salutations of scripture (especially the salutations of Paul's letters).  It seems that Paul is always saying hello to particular people, and sending them his love or warning.  For most of us, we aren't even aware of who these people are, or what Paul is referring to when he makes comments like, "Watch out for Alexander the coppersmith."  Who's Alexander the coppersmith???  Sounds like a man with a cool name to me.

As Wendy and I are preparing for our next chapter, God continues to challenge us with his word.  I sat down today to read 2 Timothy.  The day before a good friend encouraged me to look particularly at 2 Timothy 1:7, and before I could hang up the phone my fingers rushed to the pages in my small fake leather Message bible. The message my friend had for me, was the same message written almost 2000 years ago from a man in prison written to his adopted son, his favorite son, BE BOLD. On the phone, I had shared with Nathan that Wendy and I were feeling a huge burden for the city of Kampala, yet the task at hand was daunting.  We were beginning to feel overwhelmed.

Be bold when proclaiming the Gospel is Paul's first point to young Timothy.  And when you begin to read 2 Timothy it was like Paul was setting his young apprentice up for a great word of encouragement, and for the most part that's what we read.  But then comes chapters 3 and 4...the Message entitles them both as "Difficult Times Ahead".  Though Paul doesn't spell out exactly what is ahead, he does make reference in his salutation beginning in verse 9.  Paul starts off by pleading to Timothy to "Get here as fast as you can".  He follows this up with those that have left him high and dry, and that the only one left is Luke!  Luke???  Can you imagine the company that Luke provided Paul.  Luke was a doctor,a perfectionist, not a friend that you would confide in on a regular basis.  The point here, Paul was lonely.  He desperately needed and wanted his friend Timothy to come an be with him.

Paul then asked Timothy to bring him three items, his winter coat, books and notebooks.  Paul was without.  After reflecting on these requests from Paul, I began to imagine being completely without.  For what would I ask for?  What would you ask for?

If God wills it, Wendy and I and girls will reside in Kampala, Uganda sometime late this fall.  I'm not sure the specifics of the emotional and physical toll it will take on us all.  But if I had to guess, there will be many moments of loneliness and going without.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure of it.  The girls will miss their friends and TV, Wendy will miss her sisters and her paved drive way, and I will miss our church and all the things that define American bliss.  Do they sell Kleenex in Kampala?    

 

4 comments:

  1. This is huge, Todd. I'm excited for you guys, and I'll be praying for you.

    I've preached on that same salutation before. I love how he says to bring Mark "for he is useful to me for service." I love that because it was an argument over Mark that caused Paul and Barnabas to separate, and now Paul is saying that Mark is useful to him.

    Love you guys,
    Jason Cupp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jason. Your prayers will be coveted! Blessings to you and Nicky and the boys.

      Delete
  2. Todd,

    I'm really excited for you and Wendy in this journey God has put you on. I will be praying for wisdom, peace and ease through this transition for your family. You guys are a strong bunch and I know you (and the girls) will do fine. Think of what you are giving them...not only the chance to live life in another culture and actually see the world and God through their eyes (which I think only a small portion of people will ever get to experience,) but think of what they will be able to do there...share the love of God, help people, give sacrificially...what an amazing gift you are giving to your wife and children.

    I pray that God will bless this journey you guys are embarking on. I want you to know that I truly love you, Wendy and the girls.

    Rach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Rachel. It was good to hear from you, its been way to long since our families have connected. I also appreciate your encouragement in your acknoledgements regarding our girls. Yes, they to are nervous, but nervous in an excited sort of way. Wendy and I are leaving for Kampala the 27th of this month to do some serious scouting for a home and schools for the girls. Pray that God reveals the small details to us while we are there.

      Delete