Saturday, July 21, 2012

Packing...

By now most people in Brown County (the county we reside) are aware that the Gilliland family is moving to a foreign land. It's amazing how much unwanted attention a "for sale" sign in your front lawn will attract. But I guess it's fair when you live in such a small community. People seem to just know too. Just today, a lady whom for the life of me, never can I remember remotely ever meeting, asked me if I was excited about our great adventure? And to her response, I gladly smiled and said yes. So we're in that stage of transition. If you've ever moved before and lived in a small town, you know what I mean and feel. Friends and family seem to be satisfied now, it's like they've had time to process, and figure it's probably to late to talk anyone out of it. Yep, on this side of the mic, that's how it feels. And for me, this is par for the course. Most of you reading this probably never realized I was a professional mover...really I am. Since I was born until my senior year in college, I moved 7 times. And after that it only got worse. Since Wendy made our vowels, we have moved a total of 8 times, 15 moves in all!  And honestly, I think I might have left one or two out. I'm not sure, but I've often wondered if I was part gypsy.

Let me give you all a run down of our personal deadlines that we face. First deadline is August 3rd, when our 20x8x8 shipping container arrives at our doorstep. We will have just 3 hours to load it!  I'm sure Wendy and I will be completely relaxed on that day. As you can imagine, all that we own, or want to take to Uganda needs to fit in this space. Furniture, beds, tables, chairs, toys, clothing and all the Friday Night Church music gear and instruments will need to go. This is our one chance to take the big stuff, so taking advantage of this and getting our money's worth is critical. The cost of shipping a container from Mt Sterling, IL, USA to Kampala, Uganda, Africa is about $9000 when you include all the taxes and custom charges. I don't care who you are, that's a chunk of change, and so we are planning and packing well. Second deadline, October 15th, when all of us board a plane at terminal 5, at O'hare International to cross the pond to London, and after an 11 hour layover, we board one more 8 hour plane ride to Entebbe, Uganda, Africa. The time difference, 8 hours ahead.

So what are we doing now? Packing our home and stuffing envelopes filled with our support letters. I'm sure some of you reading will receive one. We are sending them Monday morning. As I mentioned above, our home awaits a buyer. It seems that both of our vehicles have been spoken for so praise the Lord for that! This money will help us to purchase transport in Kampala. If only our home would go as smooth. Wendy and I pray daily for this and would gladly appreciate you partnering with us in this matter. Honestly, it's good to have plenty of time between now and October 15th. Nothing is feeling rushed, and we are having ample time to think and process our moving strategy. We don't feel ahead or behind schedule. This I believe is an answer to our prayers and from the many that are praying for us daily. It's also giving us proper time to say our goodbyes. For this I am truly thankful.

I want to make one plea for Friday Night Church before our first deadline which is coming up fast.  We really need to fill our container with more musical gear and instruments.  If you would, for those that care to, please go to our "MONTHLY NEEDS" page and see if there isn't something you could do to help us out here.  Again, I need to have anything donated be at my doorstep no later than Friday, August 3rd in the a.m. so we can load it in the container for shipment.  But if you would prefer to make a donation via check or a one time online donation, please visit our blog page entitled "SUPPORT" for all the info you will need.

Thank you Thank you Thank you for all your prayers and support thus far.  Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment