Thursday, November 22, 2018

REMEMBERING TO LIVE LIFE FORWARD

Being thankful through and for all things rarely comes easy for me.  Recently, I was sent a group of pictures, pictures that captured the last 6 years.  Memories flooded my mind, heart, and soul.  Some good, and some not so good…

I was reminded the other day as I listened to Rick Rubin over a podcast produced by Malcolm Gladwell, to live life forward.  Rick was asked an interesting question, “Do you ever go back and listen to past albums you produced?”  Rick’s response was a bit surprising to me.  “No, I rarely do.”  He went on to explain once a project is finished, the amount of time he’s invested in the record is extraordinary, usually lasting for months.  

And so it made me think…how often do I go back and “listen to the albums” I’ve helped create?  Rick Rubin is no God, at least not to me, but as the late Brennan Manning once said, “There’s always a small crumb which we can catch from the mouth of others.”  

Today is Thanksgiving. This morning in our staff devotions, I wished everyone a happy Thanksgiving.  Though it was received well, here in the UG, unless you’re an American, it’s just another Thursday on the calendar.  As a child, Christmas used to be my favorite holiday, and for good reason of course. As an American adult, my feelings have changed.  Now, I believe my favorite American holiday is Thanksgiving.  Why?  It reminds me of how blessed I really am…even through the most challenging of situations. Today I miss my family.  Today I do feel 8000 miles from loved ones.  Today I’m thankful for families in my homeland who are gathering, and for the homeless and the down and outers whom are receiving love.  Today, I’m thankful for the healthy reminder from Rick Rubin to live life forward. There’s not a measuring stick long enough to account of how blessed my life is.  The future looks bright...     

FNC's New Parent Committee

African Grandfather and Daughter

Farming God's Way Crop 

Author, Friend, and Ocala Team
Annie's 8th grade graduation

Friday Children's Church
Kissing Well Board Members and Friends!

Quincy and the surrounding communities Team!

Special Friends

Team Chase!

Land Deal Done!


Staff on the way to the new FNC campus

Daddy Daughter moment

Freshly picked coffee drying in the Ugandan sun

Friends!!!

Food for FNC

Friends and Family!

Jordan and Todd ready for Teacher Daddy's Wedding

Just another day in paradise



No comments:

Post a Comment