Thursday, December 3, 2020

Right Doesn’t Always Win

Walter Disney once said, “Sometimes you have to get kicked in the teeth to find the path to your vision”. 

I recently was kicked in the teeth.  It was the day before this past Thanksgiving when I received a text message, which said, “The seller has rescinded their offer and has accepted another.”  In the next hour I also received news of one of our FNC Academy students needing a bone marrow transplant.  And if that wasn’t enough, another client called me and told me his long time friend had just taken their life.  I froze.  They say things happen in three’s.  While I’m not sure this is true, at that moment, it most definitely felt like it  

 

For the next week I sat in a state of depression.  I wish I could tell you I’m completely over all of it.  Those three events played a negative role in my life and the others who surrounded me.  I was in a funk to say the least.  With some encouragement from Wendy, I reached out for help.  First I called my long time friend Ben.  He asked me to write down ten things, which had brought me joy in the past…I did.  Over the years, Ben has witnessed my best and worst self.  He listened, loved, and called me to action.  That’s what great pastors do.    

 

From there I decided to go and talk to a professional councilor.  A session which, should have lasted an hour, ended up lasting two and a half.  She allowed me to see this wasn’t an isolated event, and led to conversation of past betrayals, disappointments, and a lot of trauma through out the past 8-9 years.  Several tools were suggested.  But if I learned anything in that prolonged session it was this…Right doesn’t always win.  

 

My perspective of life isn’t and shouldn’t be everyone’s, though I think it should be!  Loyalty is something I value.  No one is perfect, but when you are wrong, I believe you should admit it, ask for forgiveness, and move forward.  Such isn’t the case for most of the world.  It seems the golden rule has been tossed by the wayside.  What makes someone cheat another out of a business deal?  Why do children get sick? And why would someone decide to take their own life?  

 

On this side of heaven, I’ll continue to ask these questions.  But with the help from my councilor, it’s how I decide to think, process, and then act which can make all the difference.  It’s possible for the human brain to be retrained.  I’m trying, and it’s not an easy process.  For me, it’s not about moving forward, but how I move forward.   

 

So the next time life kicks you in the teeth allow yourself to bleed, ask for help, and remember, it could be the one thing that sets you on the path God has designed you to follow.  On this side of heaven, right will not always win, but one day, when all is made new again, right will prevail.    

No comments:

Post a Comment